One of the main trends of the last exhibition MWC 2019 is a smartphone with support of networks 5G. If you think that is the distant future, then I can assure you that it is not so. Just a few days ago it became known that South Korea and the United States were the first countries where it was launched commercial networks of the fifth generation. Prepare and vendors – already, many major manufacturers have presented their own versions of smartphones with support networks of the new generation. However, Apple still keeps silent. When can we expect the first iPhone 5G?
By itself, the 5G technology carries a lot of advantages. Let’s look at the most important changes:
- Other bands. To date, LTE is a frequency below 3.5 GHz. New generation networks will be able to work at a higher frequency — this will almost fully get rid of interference, but also has a reverse side — will need to increase the transmitter power and more dense placement of towers.
- Technology Network Slicing. The essence of this development is that operators are able to deploy isolated from each other network. Each of them is designed for specific purposes: stream videos, download files, broadband. This approach provides flexibility and more stable networks.
- D2D. Devices that are close to each other can communicate directly, without having to contact the cell towers.
- MIMO. The use of multiple antennas on the transmitters will allow to achieve high-speed data transfer and signal quality.
It is no secret, deployment of communication systems of the fifth generation requires significant investment in network infrastructure. Yet the necessary conditions were established only in two countries, however, new generation networks already being tested in Indonesia, India, Canada, Turkey, Philippines, Vietnam, Germany, Spain and many other countries. This may indicate that the global launch of 5G is expected in 2020. It is expected that by that time, almost all major vendors equip their flagship smartphones appropriate support. But what about Apple?
If you believe Bloomberg, Apple will equip your smartphone with support of networks of the fifth generation of one of the last in the industry. And there are at least several reasons:
- Initially, the company planned to cooperate with Qualcomm for the supply of cell modules enabled networks of the fifth generation. This forecast did not materialize between the companies had disagreements, and cooperation have ceased. It is definitely a big blow to Apple — because in the Arsenal of Qualcomm, there are several promising developments.
- The Corporation considered Intel as a possible supplier of modems 5G. However, here the problem. The fact is that Intel chips have several disadvantages — it overheating and high power consumption. To address the shortcomings of the American chip maker is planning only at the end of 2020, which of course does not suit Apple.
- Now in Cupertino are also studying the scenario, which has developed its own proprietary modem. This is the best choice, but the implementation may take years. During this time, Apple runs the risk of getting hopelessly behind their competitors.
However, knowing Apple, we can assume that the company can choose a non-standard solution to the current situation stating that in the networks of the fifth generation is not yet necessary. And because these words are not devoid of logic — LTE is sufficient for almost all tasks.